I used an app on my iPad to sketch out the general idea.
|Sketch of design idea done in Paper53 on my iPad|
The design process included drafting the individual units in EQ7, and selecting a color scheme and fabric. Based on past experience and what catches my eye when I browse through the SAQA auction catalog, the brighter and more hi-contrast the better.
|Color choices -- I only had a fat quarter of the purple-blue background, but it seemed perfect.|
Just like with the Daisies, the 'aerial explosions' were paper pieced individually and then appliqued onto the matching background fabric. The background behind the explosion is then cut-away to allow removal of the foundations. I used That Patchwork Place Foundation paper. It is feeds through the ink-jet nicely and tears off really easily, even using a regular stitch length. Amazing!
|Quilt top with aerial explosions appliqued on|
|Photo of quilt top layered with wool batting that was then imported into iPad app to add stitching ideas.|
|Dresden Fireworks -- stitched, machine quilted and bound.|
The backing was added after the embroidery was done, which makes hiding all the knots and thread ends really simple. Machine quilting in-the-ditch and a few stars in the back ground secure the layers. The backing is a heavier cotton sateen with a 'print on demand' image created with permission from one of my sister-in-law's paintings. I used up all (and I do mean ALL) the remaining background fabric for the 'butted' binding. There are folded triangles in the upper corners for hanging.
I also machine quilted the label info in cursive. I used red King Tut, but it doesn't show quite a much as I'd like. I might redo this before sending it off -- if I'm lucky, I'll never see it again.
UPDATE: I shared a photo with Laura Wasilowski and she posted a very nice plug. http://artfabrik.com/thread-as-fireworks/
Thanks Laura. Love the thread!
UPDATE, UPDATE: Dresden Fireworks sold for $150 in the SAQA benefit auction. Yeah!