Sunday, December 28, 2014

Stella for Ella

The Holiday has been a great time to finish some things that have been languishing for lack of attention. For example, I started this little quilt (about 25" X 25") 2 years ago to celebrate the impending birth of my friend's second child, Ella I an ashamed to admit how long it has taken to finish. Ella hasn't started college, so I guess things could be worse.

The piecing got done pretty quickly, but "How to quilt???". While I angsted (is that a word?) over designs, life intervened, demanding attention for other things. After setting this aside many times, this weekend I finished the final stippling around the motifs next to the star, and put on the binding.
Stella for Ella, Front

Stella for Ella, Back
This is my first feathered star -- designed in EQ7, and paper-pieced.

This quilt includes two features that are becoming kind of a signature -- couched Perl cotton thread in the binding (see below) and a narrow inner border with small accent squares. This one was very challenging because the background fabric, despite being a wonderful color and pattern, was of lesser quality and was VERY hard to use in small precise piecing.

NEW DirectionS NEW DirectionS with Noa NEW DirectionS II
I made a lot of notes along the way in a sketch/notebook on which foundations I like best, doodles for quilting, and which quilting threads (and bobbin threads) I used for different parts. Thank goodness! Without the notes, I would probably not have remembered what I was using when I stopped, half-way through the stippling.
Pages from notebook
Detail, showing thread selections
I especially like the cable around the outer border, which was made like our fore-mothers did, by cutting a piece of paper the length of the border, angling the ends, and then folding and cutting like paper dolls. A little spray adhesive and pins held it in place long enough to mark the outline.
Detail of back

Detail of Binding, Front, showing couched Perl Cotton
Detail of binding, Back, showing small zigzag
As usual, I applied the binding entirely by machine. As a finishing touch, I couched down a strand of Perl cotton (probably #5) in the ditch on the front with a very narrow zigzag. This serves to add a nice accent to the front and catches and secures the binding on the back. Here are the steps:
  1. Prepare required length of double-fold binding cut to desired width. For this quilt I used 3 width of fabric strips, cut 2 1/2 in wide and joined with 45 degree seams to reduce bulk. 
  2. Before sewing binding to quilt, test your seam allowance. Different binding fabrics, batting, etc take up different amounts of folds in the binding. Make a small mock-up quilt sandwich of the same materials, stitch on a short length of binding just as you would on the real quilt and see if it folds to the back by the right amount (should come past the stitch line by about 1/8 inch. Use this setting to stitch on the real quilt.
  3. Stitch on the binding, using the seam allowance from above, and mitering corners in the usual way.
  4. Join the ends. This video shows a very easy and accurate method.
  5. Set your machine for a long, relatively wide zigzag, and zigzag over the raw edges of the quilt sandwich and binding, skipping over the mitered corners. This helps firm up the edge to make a sharp, neat edge when the binding folds to the back.
  6. From the back of the quilt, glue-baste the binding in place to cover the stitching line, using Roxanne Glue-Baste or Elmer's School Glue and a fine tip. 
  7. From the front of the quilt, stitch in the ditch (straight) OR couch down yarn or Perl cotton in the ditch with a very narrow zigzag and threads in the top and bobbin to coordinate with the top and back respectively.
Now I just need a label, and I can give this one to its new owner -- at least its done before she starts college.

Happy Holidays and Best Wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year...


PS -- Just in time for the New Year, added hanging sleeve and a label. I always make sleeves that are just shy of the edges (for hanging from ends) and have a bound hole in the middle (for hanging from the center). Label is printed on treated fabric with an inkjet printer.

Now its done and can head to its new life.

Thanks for visiting ...


PS Am linking up with Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment