Sunday, November 23, 2014

Asilomar Robins -- The Final Chapter

Back in March, I shared my progress on finishing a piece that I started in a class with Ruth Powers at Empty Spools in Asilomar. I am very slow, but I make up for it by enjoying the process.


1 Original image, highly pixelated2 Reversed paper templates 3 Auditioning water and reflections
4 Pieced sections 5 Auditioning background 6 Background sections pieced
Its been a while, but I'm finally finished. I spent quite a while cogitating on the quilting, while working (gosh, it gets in the way), and working on other group quilts with my co-workers. Quilting is now done. I decided to finish the edge with a facing rather than binding -- edges are not perfectly straight, but I like the look. It is mounted using a method described by Judy Simmons.

Finished faced and mounted quilt

Detail of quilting, upper left

Detail of robins

Detail of reflection and water quilting

I love how this turned out. Are there things I could have done better? Absolutely! Live and learn. This is only the second quilt top of this type that I have made and the first that I have completely finished. Thank you Ruth for encouragement and guidance. I really love the process. The slow and meticulous nature of the process means that the initial jumping off image really has to speak to me. I'm on the look-out for the next one.

Thanks for reading,
Susan

PS I'm linking up to Amy's bloggers-quilt-festival-spring-2015
AmysCreativeSide.com

6 comments:

  1. Susan, your Robins came out great! I love how you quilted it and your attention to details like the white around their eyes and their little feet. I know those things aren't easy but they add so much! Using a facing instead of a binding was a good choice.

    I'll be teaching the class again in the spring at the Hudson River Valley Art Workshops in New York state - want to come?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how did I miss this finish? (Chalk it up to the holidaze.) I've studied all your photos in this post, and love seeing the progress to that final eloquent and lovely finish. The robins are detailed with precise yet suggestive piecing, letting the viewer's thoughts fill in around the edges. I also am a fan of the faced binding--it looks so nice! Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great quilt, so cheerful and fun.

    ReplyDelete